On My Mind: 4-20-18

"Guinevere" by Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale

Guinevere - At work I overheard a girl - she was probably around four years old - being called Guinevere. I was so pleasantly surprised and it's probably one of the most unusual names I've heard being used in real life. I've always loved the name Guinevere, it's mystical and beautifully feminine without being too saccharine, and lends itself to the very usable Gwen.

Millicent - I recently saw "A Quiet Place" with a group of friends and loved it! The eldest child in the film is played by actress Millicent "Milly" Simmonds, who was excellent in the role. It was refreshing to see Millicent being used, and I think it could really make a comeback.

Family Names - I've written a few times about names of my ancestors here and here, but I've found a few more I find interesting.

First is my great-grandfather and his siblings - they were children of German immigrants:

Serna
Adeline/Adelina
Gracelea/Graciela
William Charles
Marvin

And then some random finds, some of the names are from Dutch ancestors all the way back in the 17th century!

Cristoffel "Stoffel" (multiple)
Absalom
Ezekal
Elvira
Eudora
Merritje
Maike/Mayke
Jacobus
Valentine "Valley"
Marion (male)
O'Leavey (female)
Jan (male)
Annetje

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Yara

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics