On My Mind: 2-29-16

Princesses Irene, Victoria, Elisabeth, and Alix of Hesse - 1885
-Slight spoilers ahead for "The Witch"-

Alix - I love this short but regal form of Alice. I've seen that it can be pronounced either ay-LEEKS or ah-LEEKS, though I'm not sure which is correct, or if they are both legitimate pronunciations. Alexandra Feodorovna was originally Alix of Hesse. Her full name was Victoria Alix Helena Louise Beatrice.

Thomasin, Caleb, Mercy, Jonas, and Samuel - I'm a horror film junkie, and was so excited when I first saw the posters and trailers for "The Witch". I finally got to see it Saturday and it was really good (go see it!). The eldest daughter in the movie is named Thomasin, which I was pleasantly surprised by. The other children are Caleb, twins Mercy and Jonas, and baby Samuel. I thought they were all lovely names, especially together.

Bathsheba - The old woman who portrayed the witch (the old version) is Bathsheba Garnett. Bathsheba is a huge guilty pleasure name for me, and I love seeing it in use.

Wahab - The man who played demonic goat Black Phillip's voice is named Wahab Chaudhry. I couldn't find anything on the name, but I believe he is Indian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics

Yara